Choosing a remodeling team is a big decision, no matter the size or scope of your renovation. As you search for the team that will best fit your needs, here is comprehensive list of questions to ask before hiring a contractor for your remodel to help you.
- Can you provide references from past/current clients?
- What challenges do you foresee for this project, and how will you address them?
- Can you provide examples of past work similar to this project (photos, budgets, plans)?
- What kind of design help can you offer for my project?
PROPOSAL / CONTRACT RELATED:
- Do you require a retainer? What work do I get in exchange for a retainer?
- Can you provide a proposal that line-items what the project includes/doesn’t include?
- Do you have a separate contract that outlines the legal responsibilities of both parties?
- Will your company procure any necessary permits for my projects?
- If I want to make a change or modify something related to my project once construction starts, what is your change order policy? How will this affect my timeline and budget?
BUDGET / PAYMENT RELATED:
- How will my project payment schedule work?
- What is the total cost of my project, including all materials, permits, labor and fees?
- Are there any added costs that you forsee potentially arising during my project?
- How will my project cost be handled if unforeseen issues arise?
TIMELINE & SCHEDULING RELATED:
- What is your daily work schedule and hours?
- How often can I expect you to work at my home during my remodel?
- How will you inform me of the project timeline, daily schedules, and any timeline adjustments?
- How often should I expect to receive updates as my project progresses?
- What is the estimated start and completion date for this project?
- Do you have other ongoing projects that might affect the timeline?
- Who will my point person be during the course of my project?
- What should I do if I have questions or concerns at any time during the project?
- Can you explain what materials will be used for my project, and how you procured them?
- What happens if I want to supply any of them myself?
- Will you be using subcontractors on my project? Are they all licensed and insured?
- Do you have liability insurance to cover injuries/damage if they occur onsite?
- Are your workers covered by workers’ compensation insurance?
- How is garbage and debris handled during my project?
- What warranties are included in my project? What is your warranty process?
- What is your process for final inspections and walkthroughs?
We cover many of the topics above in our FAQ’s, check it out!
If you’re considering a design-build firm for your remodel, be sure to know the pros and cons of design-build remodeling.
Click here to learn about the top mistakes homeowners make when remodeling and how to avoid them. If you’re ready to learn more about our team and our process, call us at 847-836-2600 or schedule an appointment with one of our talented designers to evaluate the size and scope of remodel that would work best for your home and lifestyle.